Day 9

Day 9

So I won’t apologize for none of the rest of my trip posts being on time, my phone was stolen. I didn’t die, but I lost all contact with the world. So despite the trip being over now I kept up with writing my days down and I am determined to post them.

So today we left Dresden and our little Mexican oasis for Berlin, it didn’t take long, only about 1 1/2 hr, which for this trip is barely any travel time.
Outside our hostel in Dresden:
Once we got there we were given free time for the rest of the day. Which meant taking an hour after lunch to attempt to figure out where to go and how. Once we figured out the subway was cheapest we bought our day passes (6 Euro) and headed for Alexanderplatz. Of course things don’t go as planned and every train we got off it took 4 people to decide which way to go. I must mention that Ellen and I went with a group of Dutch kids so luckily some spoke German. The group today started with Maaike, Demi, Anke, Luuk, Tanja, Wilja, Keon, Yarno and Wilbert. We went to checkpoint Charlie to the the cross from East to West Berlin, after we went to McDonald’s for a break and sat down.

Ellen and I went up for a drink and I left my phone with the group sitting at the table, when we came back I noticed my phone was gone but figured someone had hid it as a joke so I leaned over to Ellen and said how I wouldn’t fall for it. So 10 minutes later when we went to go I asked where my phone had gone and the panic set in. While we were up these 12 year old Spanish kids were handing out maps and swiped my phone off the table. I was majorly unimpressed. We went up to a McD’s employee who called the police to report it and I checked my bag. Once realizing it was gone I messaged my parents and had a good cry standing in McDonald’s, a real low point in my life. Luuk then was the most supportive person ever and took me to the German police station so we could fill out a report. On the verge of a panic attack I told the officer what happened. With my phone gone I got in touch with my parents via Luuk’s Facebook. We then attempted to continue with our day but I think I speak for the group when I say that the stealing ordeal ruined the rest of the day. We walked around Berlin for a little while but since it was Sunday everything was closed.

(Picture of random tree that had gum all over it, cool.)
We began our 2 hour trek back through the rain to the hostel. When we arrived back the hostel I was mega hangry. It was already 6 at this point and I hadn’t ate since our early lunch so after sitting for a bit we set out for some Schnitzel. The restaurant we found had AMAZING Schnitzel but awful service. The waiter was constantly complaining about our large party and then blatantly asked for a tip. After that we returned to the hostel where I called my family on Dottie’s IPad to let them know that I was alright, the call went better then expected. Me and some friends celebrated our long day with an hour long walk to a bar that the front desk at the hostel said was “close” (he clearly has space perception issues). We then returned to the hostel and spent the remainder of the evening playing King’s cup and drinking. Which made up for our little adventure. Overall probably one of the longest days of the trip, was very stressful but made it through.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s